Sunday, December 2, 2012

Day 2: Subway's Sugar Cookie Knockoff

A "knockoff" of a cookie, did you hear me right? Yep, you sure did. And if you have ever eaten at Subway, you know the real star on their menu comes in the form of a cookie, their soft, round sugar cookie to be specific. If you don't believe me, try one (or this recipe), and you'll see what I mean.

For those of you who know me and my baking, my sugar cookies are usually not round (or naked). But in reality, unless I am making those "fancy cookies" for a special occasion, they sit on my cake stand until I have eaten every last one or they get pitched because they are old. My kids are just over them, so to speak... So when Sam (my oldest) asked me to make him sugar cookies, you can imagine my excitement, until he finished with "you know, like Subway's sugar cookie, they are sooo good". So I set off to please and with a mix of this recipe and a tweak of that one... I think I have come close.

Make them and decide for yourself. I can bet they won't sit in your cookie jar long.

Happy Baking!




Recipe: Subway's Sugar Cookie Knockoff

Dry Ingredients:

  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (a pinch more if your dough is too soft and sticky)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 cups unsalted butter (2 & 1/2 sticks) NO SUBSTITUTES!
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons Pure vanilla extract

1/4 cup Demerara sugar (I added in so fun colored sugar as well)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together dry ingredients in a bowl and sit aside. In large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, incorporating one before adding the next. Add vanilla extract. Gradually stir in dry ingredients until incorporated.

Using a small scoop or spoon, form dough into balls and roll in Demerara sugar. (you can roll entire ball or just tops, your preference). Place cookies on a baking sheet for 8-10 minutes until just light, light brown (or firm - I don't like them too browned) on the edges. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet about 5 minutes to set as centers will be soft. Move to wire rack and cool completely. Devour.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment