Friday, December 21, 2012

Day 21: Peppermint Bark


Such a sinful treat. Thank goodness Christmas comes only once a year! I absolutely love the peppermint bark that you can buy at that "high-end cooking store in every mall in America"...but I hate the price. So I set out to figure out how to get close to their recipe, I think I may like mine better (My cousin, Lindy, may concur.) Maybe it is because it is sooo easy to make, so inexpensive and honestly, it's mine, made from my own two hands and heart. I always think that holds the most value, don't you?



Peppermint Bark
12 oz. good quality semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Gharardelli chips)
1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
16 - 22 oz. good quality white chocolate chips (I used Nestle chips - Gharardelli melts chalky)
4-5 candy canes, crushed or broken
  • Line a 9” x 13” baking dish with aluminum foil, shiny side up, and smooth out any wrinkles
  • Place the semi-sweet chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water (not boiling) and stir until the chocolate is melted
  • Layer in the pan lined with aluminum foil and set to cool in refrigerator to 10 minutes
  • Meanwhile, melt the white chocolate according to package directions IN A MICROWAVE (I don't know why, it just works better, you can do the chocolate this way too)
  • Layer it, working quickly, over the semisweet chocolate. (I don't mind if  the chocolates mix a bit, I like the look...)
  • Sprinkle with broken candy canes (you can crush or break in a baggie to the extent that you like)
  • Allow to cool in refrigerator until set
  • Remove from pan by grabbing foil and then break the bark apart 




No comments:

Post a Comment