Sunday, December 9, 2012

Day 9: Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies


I have not made these in a long time. Mainly because I can eat the batch (or the batter) before they make it to the cookie jar! My boys don't love chocolate and Dave will eat one, so what else am I supposed to do? I know, right? I have to eat them - God forbid their feelings get hurt! As not to gain the dreaded 25 pounds of Christmas, I will, by twisted arm, give these away too.


Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 4 oz. bar of dark chocolate (53% cocoa)
1 bag dark chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli, 60% cocoa)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's but you could use any)
1 teaspoon baking powder (for "fluffier" cookies) or 1 teaspoon baking soda for "flatter" cookies)
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 extra large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  • Melt 4 oz. bar of chopped chocolate in microwave on high for 45 seconds, stir, then an additional 30 seconds if needed or until melted. 
  • In a bowl, mix flour, cocoa, baking soda & salt and whisk to incorporate. Set aside.
  • Cream butter and sugars.
  • Add melted chocolate, mix well.
  • Add egg and vanilla, mix well.
  • Add flour mixture until incorporated.
  • Stir in bag of chocolate chips.
  • Drop by 1/4 cup measure 3" apart on cookies sheets.
  • Bake 16-18 minutes.

**I think these would be awesome with those cherries I used yesterday but had used them all up. Also, crushed candy cane chucks would make them look fantastic but I only like peppermint in bark form...so you are on your own there.

No comments:

Post a Comment