Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Day 5: Birthday Bones (for that special pup)


Today is my Max's seventh birthday. I can't believe he is seven and I don't remember a day without him. Max is my oldest shih tzu baby. Love him to death and yes, he and his brother, Brock (Beeps), are the most spoiled, smart and loving dogs I have ever owned. (no bias here!) So to celebrate Max, JP and I thought it fitting to make him birthday bones!


They are made completely of a humanly edible food, but also good for a dog. We rolled them then cut them out in the shapes of doggie bones and fire hydrants... Max and Beeps sure loved them, some happy pups of JP's friends are getting a nice treat too! Make a batch for your pooch and test them out!


Birthday Bones (Peanut Butter, Honey and Oat Cookies)
adapted from the Ultimate Dog Treat Cookbook

1 cup crunchy natural peanut butter
3 cups quick oats
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup low-sodium beef bouillon powder
1/3 cup warm water

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Warm peanut butter in microwave for about a minutes until it is soft enough to mix
  • Grind quick oats in food processor until a course flour
  • In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients
  • Work the dough onto a breadboard sprinkled with more of the ground oats until you can form a ball. Roll out to about 1/4" thick
  • Use a cookie cutter of your choice to cut the shapes of the cookie
  • Bake for about 10 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown
  • Let cool thoroughly. Store in an air tight container

2 comments:

  1. Your web-site is so cute! I expected nothing less from you. I always loved your bread and cut-out cookies. I'll never forget devouring the entire loaf of bread when I was pregnant with the twins....Eric was upset he did not get to enjoy a piece.

    Hope all is well with you and the family! Miss you all!

    ReplyDelete